Coigach Lines

Tenant Genealogy of Coigach Crofts, Scotland, 1800-1900

Posts Tagged ‘Geography of Coigach’

(SDD39) Macleod 187, 211, 233 (Dornie to Reiff), 179 (Tanera)

Posted by alibaster on December 31, 2009

Advertisements

Posted in Macleod, Reiff, Tanera | Tagged: , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

About the geography of Coigach

Posted by alibaster on February 24, 2009

 

 

Blog about Coigach Crofts – Tenant Genealogy 1800 to 1900 – Crofting townships.

 

The Barony of Coigach was historically a separate western portion of the east coast Cromarty Estates. Their original croft numbering system included over thirty crofts at Morefield beside Ullapool and crofts 37 to 83 in smaller townships in Strathcanaird on the 1853 road built to connect Ullapool to Ledmore in Assynt. These crofts were separated from the Coigach townships listed below by the Ben Mor Coigach mountain barrier. Travel to Coigach was by sea or on foot by the precipitous coastal path, known as “Walking the rock”.

 

The present single-track road from Drumrunie to Achiltibuie follows an 18-mile detour northwards around the mountains via the north shores of Lochs Lurgainn, Badagyle, Oscaig, Ra and na Badachan. It was built between 1853 and 1876 to link the tenanted establishments of Drumrunie Lodge, Inverpollaidh Lodge, Achnahaird Farm and Badentarbet Lodge with Ullapool and the south. After the Napier Commission crofting inquiry in the 1880s it was extended from Badenscallie to Coulnacreag, the present termination,and linked between Achnahaird and Achiltibuie by a coastal road connecting to Reiff, Altandu, Dornie, Polbain and the new (1890s) Badentarbet Pier.

 

The crofting townships of Coigach can be subdivided as follows:-

 

The Coigach peninsula…..Crofts Numbers 187 to 257 in Dornie, Polbain, Altandu, Reiff, Achnahaird.

 

The central coast………………………………..89 to 152 in Achiltibuie, Polglas and Badenscallie.

 

The south-east coast………………………….160 to 174 in Achavrai, Achininver, Achduart, Coulnacreag.

 

The crofting islands…………………………….176 to 186 in Tanera, 260 to 268 in Isle Martin.

 

The tenants of each croft are named in published Valuation Rolls which originated in handwritten Rent Rolls kept by Cromarty Estates until about 1865. At first the crofters of each township are grouped in the number of small tenants paying less than four pounds per year, but after the Crofting Acts, i.e. from 1888 on they are named individually. Copies of the Valuation Rolls published at ten-year intervals commencing 1868 are held at Ullapool Museum.

Posted in Coigach Crofts | Tagged: , | Leave a Comment »